Vavra Park, 6040 Slater a 7.5-acre linear park. The City of Merriam was incorporated as a city in 1950 and within the first decade identified that recreation services were vital to the citizens. The area today known as Vavra Park began in 1959 when the city acquired the first pieces of property when establishing the area known today as the municipal complex. On September 16, 1959, residents passed a general obligation bond for a Park Improvement Project. This bond provided funding to acquire approximately four acres of land in the Eby Subdivision. This acquisition led to the very first pool in Merriam the Merriam Aquatic Center which was completed August 1, 1961.
Amenities at Vavra Park include:
Double Bay Swings
Landscape Structures Playground
Restrooms (seasonal porta potty)
Park hours are sunrise to sunset daily. For shelter rental information call the Merriam Parks and Recreation Department at 913.322.5550, or click here to download the rental brochure.